You will never run out of things to do in the Whitsundays with the Great Barrier Reef diving a favourite. Why not charter a private boat and spend the weekend sailing the Whitsundays on a romantic break, or even charter a private seaplane for the ultimate getaway.
Discover the mystical sea life below the water with a scuba or snorkelling tour, or stay above with a jet ski adventure or a cruise to Whitehaven Beach - recently voted the most beautiful beach in Australia. In addition, if you're looking for more information on what to do in Queensland as a whole, be sure to check out our state page!
The Top Things to Do in The Whitsundays
The Whitsundays are 74 tropical islands scattered in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef. Be thrilled by the reef while diving or snorkeling, relax on a sailing tour or on a white sand beach, be amazed by bird’s eye views of the reef on a scenic flight, indulge in an island lunch buffet, be spoiled at a resort or be exhilarated on a jet ski tour. With so much to see and do, it can seem hard to fit it all into your holiday schedule.
1. Experience the Great Barrier Reef
The Great Barrier Reef’s ample variety of marine life, the vibrant corals and the sparkling water are sure to create a lasting impression on you. In the Whitsundays, you are in the heart of it all, so, whether it is a glass-bottom boat ride or a snorkelling or diving adventure, be sure to experience the Great Barrier Reef!
- Take a catamaran to Reefworld, a large floating pontoon facility for an opportunity to experience the reef in a variety of ways. Tour the waters in a semi-submarine, sit in the 50-seat underwater viewing chamber, look into the Groper viewing hole, go snorkelling or go scuba diving; you can even spend the night!
- Board a wavepiercer and visit a pontoon, where you can enjoy semi-submersible rides, glass bottom boat rides, a giant waterslide, snorkelling and views from a clear underwater chamber.
2. Enjoy a beach paradise on Whitehaven Beach
Relax and unwind at Whitehaven Beach, Airlie Beach. Considered one of the world’s most spectacular beaches, with white sand and an inviting warm ocean, this is a stop that will complete your holiday.
- Have a delicious lunch before departing to Whitehaven Beach for a full-day adventure.
- Board a half-day cruise and explore many of the Whitsundays’ beautiful bays and islands, including Whitehaven Beach.
- Sail to Whitehaven Beach on Camira for a full day adventure with a snorkelling stop along the way!
3. Spend a day on Hamilton Island
Explore the largest inhabited island in the Whitsundays and find a wide variety of activities to do, stores to shop at and restaurants to dine and drink at!
- Visit both Hamilton Island and Whitehaven Beach on a cruise.
- Choose from over 40 activities, such as jet skiing, quad biking, hang gliding and bush walking, or just relax poolside or on the beach on a one day Hamilton Island experience.
- Enjoy a return ferry transfer and play 9 or 18 holes of golf on a course with spectacular panoramic views the island and the Dent Passage with a Hamilton Island golf experience.
4. Sail the Whitsundays
Sailing is one of the best and most relaxing ways to experience the spectacular water, weather and much more. Unwind and kick in to holiday mode as you indulge yourself with a cruise.
- Board a half-day cruise and explore the Whitsunday’s bays and beaches, including Cid Harbour, Hamilton Island, Whitehaven Beach and Hook Passage.
- Ride of the world’s fastest catamarans through the Whitsundays’ turquoise waters from your accommodations to Whitehaven Beach on a Whitehaven Beach sailing adventure.
5. Take a seaplane above the island wonders and the reef
Get a birds eye view of the Whitsundays and the Great Barrier Reef by flying over it. This is a once in a lifetime experience that is definitely worth indulging in.
- Fly over the Whitsunday Islands, Hill Inlet, Whitehaven Beach, Bait Reef, Hook Reef, Hardy Reef and Heart Reef and stop and spend time at Whitehaven Beach and the Great Barrier Reef on a panorama seaplane tour.
- Enjoy a scenic flight over the Great Barrier Reef and the northern Whitsunday Islands and a glass-bottom boat ride on a reef adventure. -Take a seaplane flight over Bait Reef, Hook Reef, Hardy Reef and Heart Reef to the Fantasea pontoon on a fly cruise to Reefworld trip.
6. Go on a heart-pumping boat ride
Feel like getting your adrenaline pumping? Take a Jetski tour of the Whitsundays. This is a great way to take in the sights and enjoy the water at the same time.
- Jump on a 3 seater jet ski and follow a guided tour to explore the gorgeous Pioneer Bay and Airlie Beach.
- Ride around Daydream Island on a jet ski for two hours, take advantage of any of the resort’s facilities and choose one free activity such as fishing, snorkelling and tube rides on a Daydream Extreme Adventure.
- Take a super-fast ride around the northern and southern ends of Whitehaven Beach on an ocean rafting adventure.
7. See paradise from the sky in a heli
Get a new perspective of the stunning world wonder!
- See the Great Barrier Reef and the stunning Whitsundays from in the sky in a helicopter and on the water on the Seaflight on a cruise and fly tour.